Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Driver in hit-and-run tragedy fronts court

Driver in hit-and-run tragedy fronts court

Driver in hit-and-run tragedy fronts court

The medical student who killed three and injured 11 others in a March hit-and-run car crash along Norodom Boulevard told the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday that she was suffering from meningitis and was on medication that made her drowsy when the accident took place.

Although 23-year-old Keam Piseth Narita said she “deeply regretted her mistake”, she implored the court to drop the charges.

Piseth Narita added that she had not intended to drive that day – her younger brother was supposed to drive her but cancelled at the last minute because he was busy.

“I promise that I will not commit this again in the future,” she told the court. “I would like to ask the court to drop charges against me and release me so that I will be able to continue my studies.”

Piseth Narita, a sixth-year student at the University of Surgery and Medicine, has been charged with “driving causing death and serious injury”.

On the day of the accident in March, she drove a Toyota Camry into a crowd of motorbikes, cyclists and pedestrians outside the Ministry of Interior, said Kor Vandy, vice-president of the Municipal Court.

She had earlier hit a motorbike and led police on a high-speed chase down Norodom Boulevard, he said.

He added that Piseth Narita’s father – Keam Piseth, deputy director of the Kandal Provincial Hospital – had compensated the families of all the victims, who have since dropped charges against his daughter.

Regardless, Municipal Court vice prosecutor Soeu Vanny pointed out that Piseth Narita had still violated the law and “seriously affected the public order” – causing needless suffering and pain for the families of the victims.

“Although all victims have already received compensation and have also withdrawn their lawsuits against her, it cannot put an end to the case,” she said, urging the court to maintain charges and punish the accused.

The court will hand down a verdict next week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman