Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Drought relief campaign over: PM

Drought relief campaign over: PM

Authorities distribute water from a fire truck into buckets late last month in Banteay Meanchey province during water shortages. Photo supplied
Authorities distribute water from a fire truck into buckets late last month in Banteay Meanchey province during water shortages. Photo supplied

Drought relief campaign over: PM

The government’s emergency campaign to distribute water to some 2.5 million people affected by drought is over, Prime Minister Hun Sen declared yesterday, though for development partners and humanitarian groups, drought relief efforts continue.

The announcement, which came just three days after the premier took to Facebook calling for water distribution efforts to continue, was delivered at a graduation ceremony in Phnom Penh.

“It’s the end of the big campaign, but it’s not the end of distributing water to the areas that lack water. We have to continue in those areas,” he said, adding that this year proved to be a “lesson” to the government for future drought planning.

“We’ve never experienced a shortage of water [like this] . . . We have never held a campaign to distribute water like this,” he continued.

The premier went on to say that improvements to wells and other water infrastructure must continue. Separately, he said the Water Festival’s boat race “must” occur this year after last year’s suspension.

The government’s campaign began on April 26, and 500 million riel (about $125,000) was budgeted for the nearly one-month operation. The National Committee for Disaster Management could not be reached yesterday to provide an update on how many people still face water shortages.

The World Food Programme, UNICEF and FAO are conducting a nationwide household survey to assess “medium and long term needs related to the prolonged El Niño period”, the Humanitarian Response Forum (HRF) said in a statement yesterday.

Relief group ActionAid’s Harald Guelker, who also co-chairs the HRF, cautioned: “The first rains do not mean that the crisis is over. It will take time for groundwater aquifers to recharge and drinking water wells [to] fill up again to normal levels.”

What’s more, initial rains “can flush dirt and feces into open water sources”, increasing the risk of disease, he said.

“We all need to get prepared for the next drought; wells need to be improved, more effective rainwater harvesting in schools and homes needs to be promoted and groundwater monitoring needs to be strengthened.”

World Vision’s humanitarian and emergency affairs manager Socheath So said that his group has spent over $400,000 on short- and long-term drought response in March and April, and has allocated about $200,000 for continued efforts through July.

Humanitarian and disaster reduction manager for Save the Children Seng Samban said yesterday that his organisation “will continue water distribution to schools that still lack water”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom may hire Turkish power ship

    Cambodia is considering negotiating with Turkey to hire a 200MW-capacity power ship to meet electricity demands as the country faces an ongoing electrical shortage, according to the prime minister. Speaking to garment workers in Pursat province on Wednesday, Prime Minister Hun Sen said Electricite du

  • Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

    One of the very few Cambodian women to have successfully reached the Kingdom’s three highest peaks is now eyeing Malaysia’s tallest mountain, Mount Kinabalu, and potentially even the world’s tallest straddling Nepal and China, Mount Everest. While in many Western countries it

  • Cheap, clean and efficient: The firm leading Cambodia’s solar revolution

    Sitting in her bright and airy 17th floor office, Rithya Menon, Okra Smart Solar’s lead firmware engineer, checks the frequently updating data telling her everything about how well their community services are operating. “I saw in the data that there was a problem with

  • PM Hun Sen: Cambodia will not die without EBA scheme

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday reiterated that he would not be overly concerned if Cambodia had its access to the EU’s “Everything But Arms” (EBA) scheme withdrawn because the Kingdom would not die without it. Hun Sen was speaking to factory workers in