Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Drug trafficker’s sentence upheld by Appeal Court



Drug trafficker’s sentence upheld by Appeal Court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Anti-drug officials destroy 64kg of illicit drugs in the Phnom Penh in June. Heng Chivoan

Drug trafficker’s sentence upheld by Appeal Court

The Appeal Court on Thursday heard a case against a man who was sentenced by the lower court to 10 years in prison on drug trafficking charges.

Kem Ly, 40, was arrested for dealing drugs in the capital’s Dangkor district last year.

At the trial, Ly said a man named Thy from Dangkor commune’s Cheung Ek village asked him to bring a bag to another man in May last year with a promise of $50.

He was handing the bag to the unidentified man at Borey Lay Kong on National Road 3 when police arrested him.

“I didn’t know the bag contained drugs so please reduce my sentence because I have small children who need support for their studies,” Ly said.

However, his account contradicted the police report, which said that before his arrest, anti-drug police from the Ministry of Interior worked undercover and pretended to order 500 grams of methamphetamine from him.

In February this year, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced Ly to 10 years behind bars and ordered him to pay a 25 million riel ($5,250) fine under Article 40 of the Law on Drug Control.

Appeal court prosecutor Tan Senarong said the lower court’s decision was just.

“The quantity of addictive substance was 137%, so I ask that the court uphold the earlier verdict,” he said.

Defence lawyer Chuon Sethsamphors said his client admitted his guilt, so the charge against him is too severe. “The court should change the charge from drug trafficking to an act of receiving interests from the transaction instead,” he said.

Judge Yet Molin, head of the presiding council, said a verdict would be delivered on September 11.

A report from the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) released at a workshop in Siem Reap province earlier this year said that in the first six months of this year, police had arrested a total of 13,748 drug suspects, including 9,720 consumers, 4,181 of whom have been rehabilitated and released.

Of the 5,539 consumers who are still being detained, 3,231 are receiving treatment at public health institutions while 2,308 have yet to be treated.

Law enforcement enforcers have intercepted 1,144 cases of drug consumption, with 2,620 consumers arrested.

NACD deputy secretary-general Chey Bopha said drug consumers in the country who are aged 18 to 35 years old make up 83 per cent of the total number of drug consumers.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting