Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Drunk’ driver kills two waste collectors, injures one

‘Drunk’ driver kills two waste collectors, injures one

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two rubbish collectors were killed in the incident in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district on Monday. Facebook

‘Drunk’ driver kills two waste collectors, injures one

Two rubbish collectors were killed and another seriously injured when a teenager who was driving while intoxicated crashed into them on Russian Federation Blvd in Kakab 1 commune of Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district in the early hours of July 12.

Municipal traffic bureau chief Sem Ratana told The Post that the trio were Mizuda Group Co Ltd workers. Two of them, aged 28 and 41, died at the scene while another, 42, was rushed to hospital.

The driver, 17, was arrested and brought to the bureau for questioning.

“According to the police report, the driver … tried to flee the scene but was intercepted by police.

“The perpetrator was driving under the influence of alcohol. A blood alcohol test revealed a level of 0.7 per cent,” Ratana said.

He said police are building a case file for referral to court for legal action, while the victims’ bodies had been handed over to relatives.

Police impounded the car at the traffic bureau, pending a legal solution, he said.

Heng Dimong, a representative of Mizuda Group, told The Post that he and his team have collected money and given it to the victims’ families for funerals.

He said the company also urged partner life insurance companies to expedite compensation for them.

“The seriously injured victim is being treated at Sen Chey Clinic and Maternity, and all medical expenses are borne by the company,” Dimong said.

As for compensation from the perpetrator, he said it is the responsibility of the families to file a complaint directly to relevant authorities seeking justice for the injured and deceased in the incident.

Dimong called on drivers to respect traffic rules by not driving while intoxicated, which could endanger people on public roads.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia