Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duch ‘scolded’ by Chea for not destroying docs




Duch ‘scolded’ by Chea for not destroying docs

Khieu Samphan follows the testimony of Kaing Guek Eav during Case 002/02 earlier this week in Phnom Penh. ECCC
Khieu Samphan follows the testimony of Kaing Guek Eav during Case 002/02 earlier this week in Phnom Penh. ECCC

Duch ‘scolded’ by Chea for not destroying docs

Khmer Rouge tribunal defendant Nuon Chea scolded the former commandant of the infamous S-21 prison for failing to destroy its archives as Phnom Penh fell to the Vietnamese in 1979, the court heard yesterday.

The archives contained lists of people to be “smashed”, interrogated or captured. Other lists detailed people whose health had faltered from torture or suicide attempts, and who had to be nursed back to health and “fattened up” to extract more confessions.

The reams and reams of documents are now being used as evidence in the tribunal’s current Case 002/02 against Chea and his co-defendant, Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan.

“In 1983, we met for the first time since the end of the regime,” Kaing Guek Eav, the former S-21 warden better known as Duch, testified yesterday. “I mentioned that the documents remained at the time, and he scolded me.”

Duch said that he never received orders to destroy the archives and he fled when he saw Vietnamese tank columns closing in.

In keeping with his testimony over the past few days, Duch continued to implicate Chea in the running of the notorious prison, where as many as 15,000 are thought to have been killed. When he was still overseeing the prison, occasionally higher-ups including Chea would order Duch to edit out names of VIPs that had been implicated in confessions – including Samphan.

Prisoner lists occasionally said that people were marked for release or removal, though Duch testified yesterday that this meant that the people were executed, sometimes simply to make room for new incoming prisoners.

As an example, he remembered writing “for removal” under names of Division 920 cadres, at the orders of Chea. In another case more than 600 Thai prisoners were “removed” by a cadre named Hor.

Duch recalled that injuries, disease and mental breakdowns from torture resulted in some people losing dangerous amounts of weight. These people were put on special meal regimes “to prevent the prisoners from dying and having their confessions cut off”, said Duch.

There were also suicide attempts. One important prisoner swallowed a screw, which had to be surgically extracted and another woman obtained a razor and cut herself.

One woman was dissected for anatomy training against Duch’s orders, as he believed she was still valuable enough to keep alive.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,