Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dying cattle concern Mondulkiri villagers



Dying cattle concern Mondulkiri villagers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A buffalo found dead in Mondulkiri province’s Sre Chhouk commune, in Keo Seima district recently.

Dying cattle concern Mondulkiri villagers

Villagers in Mondulkiri province’s Sre Chhouk commune, in Keo Seima district, have expressed concern over dying cattle, pointing the blame at water contamination caused by the illegal gold-mining groups in a nearby commune.

Local authorities, however, said the recent rash of deaths and illnesses of their cattle is the result of bacterial infections.

Chork Klout, 28, a member of the Phnong ethnic group and living in Sre Chhouk’s Ptong village, said that a week ago, cattle, including his, in their village and others in the commune started becoming sick and dying for an inexplicable reason.

“I do not know from what both of my buffaloes died. I just know that they ate the grass near the stream and drank the water. Then they got sick and their stomach became swollen and they stopped eating. A few days later, they convulsed, their mouths foamed and they died,” he said.

Sre Chhouk’s commune chief, Ti Khit, confirmed that cattle had been getting sick and dying, estimating that 30 have died and 20 others became sick and were sold to slaughterhouses. He added that the cause of the outbreak was the result of two diseases.

“I have alerted district authorities already. Experts have investigated and administered treatment to prevent the spreading of other diseases from the sick cattle. The experts say the villagers’ cattle died from hemorrhagic septicemia [HS] and blackleg,” Khit said, referring to two bacterial diseases that affect cattle across the globe whose economic impact can be severe.

Khit said the experts who treated the diseased animals advised villagers not to allow their cattle to roam free, explaining that it could spread the disease further. They also advised them not to eat any cattle that died or got sick from the disease, he added.

Keo Seima District Governor Nuon Saran, speaking to The Phnom Penh Post on Monday, dismissed villagers’ concerns about contaminated water from mines, saying the deaths were not related to the ongoing water investigation occurring in neighbouring Kratie province.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting