Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Election body threatens legal action over Sam Rainsy's boycott leaflets



Election body threatens legal action over Sam Rainsy's boycott leaflets

Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy during an interview with Radio Free Asia on April 8, when he first called for an election boycott. Supplied
Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy during an interview with Radio Free Asia on April 8, when he first called for an election boycott. Supplied

Election body threatens legal action over Sam Rainsy's boycott leaflets

The National Election Committee reacted on Wednesday to former opposition leader Sam Rainsy’s creation of a leaflet urging an election boycott, warning that any distribution of the flier would be against the law, while a former opposition member said that he and other supporters would spread the message nonetheless if the CNRP is not reinstated.

Rainsy first began calling for a boycott of this year’s national elections in April, as a response to last year’s forced dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, which he helped found. Co-founder Kem Sokha, who had succeeded Rainsy as party president, is currently in pre-trial detention on “treason” charges after his arrest in September.

He released a version of a leaflet reiterating the stance on Tuesday, which Som Sorida, deputy secretary-general of the NEC, claimed violated both Article 34 of the Constitution and Article 142 of the Law on the Election of Members of the National Assembly.

“Our first measure is we will submit a letter to the one who did this [ordering] to stop his activity immediately. If he does not stop, we will file a complaint to authorities to take legal action,” said Sorida.

While Article 34 guarantees the right to vote, it says nothing about the legality of boycotting an election, or of urging others to do so. Article 142, meanwhile, says it is illegal to “deter” citizens from registering to vote, or to cause “confusion resulting in the loss of confidence in the election”.

Sorida said that legal action will be taken against Rainsy and anybody who distributes the leaflets, both in person and online.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said it was up to the Ministry of Interior to decide whether or not to take action, as requested by the NEC. Interior Ministry representatives could not be reached.

Siphan did say, however, that Rainsy’s actions were akin to “rebellion”, and compared them to the Khmer Rouge’s boycott of the 1993 election.

“It’s freedom of expression, but urging people not to join elections offends the principle of democracy,” he said, claiming that preserving democracy took precedence over Rainsy’s individual rights in this scenario.

Passing out anti-government leaflets has been a risky business in the past, with 10 Khmer National Liberation Front supporters arrested in 2014 for distributing pamphlets during a peaceful protest.

At least two CNRP supporters were also arrested for distributing leaflets protesting the party’s dissolution.

Rainsy stopped short on Tuesday of explicitly asking followers to distribute the leaflets in person, saying that it must depend on “local conditions and circumstances”.

“The leaflet is already being widely shared on Facebook,” he said on Wednesday, adding that he and his colleagues will “defend our freedom of expression as enshrined in the Constitution”.

Kong Mas, former head of the CNRP’s Svay Rieng provincial committee, said in a Wednesday Facebook post that he would print 100,000 copies of the flier.

Mas, who was expected to compete for a lawmaker position in July, fled to Bangkok following the party’s dissolution, returning after reporting intimidation and harassment from Thai officials.

“They threaten us not to share the leaflet. If we talk about rights, we have the right to do so on behalf of the people,” Mas said, adding that they are not trying to prevent CPP supporters from voting.

Mas said he and others still loyal to the CNRP will print leaflets in every province if the CNRP is not reinstated by the end of the party registration period on May 14.

When asked if he feared arrest, he said the sacrifices of other “patriots” would be meaningless if he too weren’t willing to take risks.

“We must face [them] with the truth,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants