Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Emergency alerts are issued as rivers flood

Emergency alerts are issued as rivers flood

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The stretch of the Mekong River passing through Stung Treng province had reached a level of 11.82m. Supplied

Emergency alerts are issued as rivers flood

Some 8,000 families in Stung Treng province have been affected by heavy flooding as the Mekong and Sekong Rivers surged beyond emergency levels on Sunday. This resulted in 2,210 families fleeing to higher ground, Stung Treng Provincial Hall spokesman Men Kong said.

“Authorities have focused their attention on rescuing people and moving them to higher ground as we provide food and medicine. Provincial authorities have deployed health staff and placed medical specialists on standby to provide round-the-clock treatment and education for residents,” Kong said.

The stretch of the Mekong River passing through Stung Treng province had reached a level of 11.82m. The province has set 10.7m as the limit before an emergency is declared.

The Sekong River requires an emergency declaration when the water level reaches 11.5m in Stung Treng province. And it has already reached as high 11.82m there.

The Stung Treng Municipal Hall was unable to provide figures regarding damage the floods had done to crops and the city’s infrastructure as of Sunday. However, Kong said low lying areas in Stung Treng town and six districts there have been completely submerged.

National Committee for Disaster Management first vice-president Kun Kim called on relevant authorities to direct their attention to assisting residents.

Emergency declarations were also issued in Kratie and Kampong Cham provinces as the Mekong River water level rose beyond emergency levels in those provinces too, the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology’s reported on Sunday.

The Kingdom has been pummelled by a pair of powerful storms which poured rain over the Mekong River Basin since the end of August.

At least four deaths have been reported since September 3, including a seven-year-old boy in Kampong Chhnang province who was washed away while playing in a flooded paddy field.

MOST VIEWED

  • PP massage parlours raided, 29 suspects held for prostitution

    The Phnom Penh municipal Military Police on Sunday raided four massage parlours in Por Sen Chey district and detained 29 suspects for questioning over their alleged involvement in prostitution. Deputy municipal Military Police commander Pu Davy on Monday said the four massage parlours were located near

  • PM: All 10 Asean countries to receive Rainsy arrest warrants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) member states will receive warrants for the arrest of Sam Rainsy. The warrants have already been sent to Laos and Thailand. He was speaking at a joint press conference at

  • Overtourism still threatens Angkor Wat

    Ticket sales to the Angkor temples are down. An Angkor Enterprise report has revealed that ticket sales to the Angkor Archaeological Park dropped by more than 11 per cent from the same period last year. Prime Minister Hun Sen isn’t concerned. He told journalists that

  • Human rights report biased, says Cambodia

    Cambodia has accused the 42nd session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday of having “undermined the principle of objectivity”. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN said the Office of the