Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Employees escape Metfone blaze

Employees escape Metfone blaze

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Employees escape Metfone blaze

2 siem reap metfone fire George-Nickels

Siem Reap

Four Metfone employees escaped the company’s Siem Reap branch with only minor injuries on Saturday morning after a fire tore through the building, trapping them inside.

Firefighters arrived at the scene on Sivutha Boulevard, near the city centre, at about 9:15am, said Nea Sang, director of the provincial fire department. The flames were extinguished within about half an hour.

The four staffers were sitting in a meeting on the first floor when the fire started, said Pech Pon Reaksmey, a Metfone security guard who witnessed the fire.

“I heard an explosion sound on the ground floor, and I quickly ran to see what happened and then I saw a huge [amount] of smoke and I started to shout for help,” Reaksmey said.  “Everything was damaged inside our building.”

Heavy smoke caused one of the trapped employees to faint, but all four made it to the rooftop, where they stepped onto the roof of a building next door, Reaksmey said. No one required hospitalisation.

Firefighters initially had a difficult time putting out the blaze because the building’s Metfone signage blocked the water from their hoses from reaching the first floor, Reaksmey said. Eventually, the sign broke, allowing the water inside.

Fire department officials determined that an electrical fault on the ground floor had sparked the fire, Sang said.

Last December, a fire at a Siem Reap market left eight people dead and two hospitalised with serious injuries.

MOST VIEWED

  • Website advises travellers to stay clear of Angkor Wat

    An Australian website has advised travellers to avoid Angkor Wat during their trip to Southeast Asia because the ancient temple is showing signs of rapid erosion and faced water management issues. In a recent article entitled Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Passenger taxi boat ridership sinks despite free services

    Passenger taxi boat traffic has dropped by about five per cent compared to the same period last year, despite the government providing free service for garment workers until next year, Phnom Penh Autonomous Bus Transportation Authority director Ean Sokhim said on Monday. In 2018, the Phnom

  • Kingdom drafting new law to strengthen immigration

    The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said it had formed a working group to draft amendments to the Law on Immigration. Its secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post that the amendments will strengthen the management of immigrants in line with the current situation.

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that

  • Sokha defence denies Tech’s claims

    ON DAY two of Kem Sokha’s treason trial, lawyers for the government said the defence had raised questions in an attempt to allow their client to make a public statement and a conclusion to the case, something his legal team denied. Ky Tech, a