Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Employees of labour firm sent to court




Employees of labour firm sent to court

Employees of labour firm sent to court

Three employees of a labour recruitment firm whose training centre was raided by police on Tuesday were sent to the municipal court yesterday evening.

The workers had been detained by military police for two days of questioning in connection with the alleged recruitment of underage girls.
Officials said that five girls were among 26 women removed from a Century (Cambodia) Manpower Co Ltd training centre in Sen Sok district’s Teuk Thla commune, following a complaint to NGO Action Pour
Les Enfants in August by the mother of a missing 14-year-old girl.

Chea Chhouk, chief of the municipal anti-human trafficking military police, said that officials had prepared documents and sent the three employees to court for further questioning.

“We completed our questioning of the workers and the company employees today ... [there are] two women and a man,” he said, adding that police were still seeking to arrest the owner of the company.

“We sent the company employees to the court for charging through the law, but we also seek to arrest the owner of the company in order to take action through the law,” Chea Chhouk said, adding that those rescued had been initially taken care of by the municipal social affairs department.

Sorn Sophal, director of that department, said that the underage girls had been sent on to an NGO and the other women had been sent back to their homes.

“We cooperated with the organisations to help the workers [and NGO] … took five underage girls to take care of them and contact their families [in order] to return them home,” he said.

Labour recruitment firms in the Kingdom have come under increasing scrutiny in recent months following a spate of alleged abuses of Cambodian domestic workers, particularly in Malaysia, by their employers and the agencies that recruit and train them.

MOST VIEWED

  • CDRI poll: Most happy but disappointments still exist

    A survey has found that over 70 per cent of Cambodian youths and adults approve of the direction the country is headed in, with the majority of respondents saying they had been doing better financially over the past five years. However, more than half said they

  • Drugs raid on Miami Night Club, 50 held

    Anti-drugs police raided a club in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang I commune in Phnom Penh early on Thursday, arresting some 50 people and confiscating drug-producing equipment and suspected illegal substances. Deputy National Police chief Mok Chito said on Thursday that police conducted the raid

  • Phnom Penh: The street food you adore, but given a refined twist

    There is no shortage of street food vendors scattered across Phnom Penh, but what is far rarer is finding a place that also has comfortable seating, good hygiene and parking. This is where Jing Ling and her five friends step in. With the concept of

  • Battambang court releases minor who shot boy

    The Battambang provincial court on Thursday released a 14-year-old boy who had been detained for accidentally firing a home-made gun and killing a nine-year-old boy in Samlot district on Tuesday, provincial court spokesman Tieng Sambor said. Sambor told The Post on Thursday that following the