Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Employers snub talks over wages




Employers snub talks over wages

Employers snub talks over wages

Management at Ocean Garment factory yesterday flouted a Ministry of Labour invitation to sit at the negotiating table with employees protesting the factory’s refusal to abide by an Arbitration Council decision in their favour.

Nobody from the factory came to the Ministry of Labour, after ministry officials ended a worker roadblock of Russian Boulevard on Wednesday, telling them they would mediate a discussion between the groups.

As Ocean officials drag their feet in paying their entire monthly wage for a planned temporary closure from late May to June 26 – the factory remains closed – the situation has become dire for many employees there, said Houn Vanna, an employee representative.

“Most workers were evicted from their rental houses,” Vanna said. “They still protest and demand the wage owed to them under the law.”

The Arbitration Council last week ordered the company to pay full wages. It offered $50 per worker.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.