Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Environmental activists briefly held in Laos



Environmental activists briefly held in Laos

People inspect a construction site on the bank of the Mekong River last year in Champasak province, southern Laos, where two Cambodian activists were detained last week. Photo supplied
People inspect a construction site on the bank of the Mekong River last year in Champasak province, southern Laos, where two Cambodian activists were detained last week. Photo supplied

Environmental activists briefly held in Laos

Two Cambodian environmental activists were reportedly detained by Lao authorities yesterday while photographing construction of the Don Sahong dam near the border with Cambodia’s Stung Treng province.

According to Se Seamdy, the leader of Youth for Social and Environmental Protection, the organisation to which the two activists belong, brothers Chum Huor and Chum Huot were on a boat with two other people when they were arrested and questioned for over an hour before being released.

“One of them got sick because he was so afraid,” he said.

While Seamdy denied media reports that the phones and cameras carried by the brothers had been destroyed by Lao authorities, Adhoc provincial coordinator Hou Sam Ol said yesterday that the devices had sustained water damage and were no longer functional. Seamdy declined to elaborate further on the circumstances of the detention, while Sam Ol said he had been told “that their phones dropped into the water, but it is not clear what caused that”.

In social media posts Huor and Huot appear carrying campaign banners that read “Together protect the environment”, and “Having Don Sahong means there is no dolphins”, referring to the endangered Irrawaddy river dolphins that inhabit stretches of the Mekong in Cambodia, and which experts warn may be eradicated by the dam’s construction.

The Mekong River Commission (MRC) – the international body responsible for mediating disputes over the Don Sahong between Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia – has lost more than half of its funding for 2016-2020 compared with the last five years. What’s more, repeated requests to the Lao government for environmental impact assessments and scientific studies on the consequences of the Don Sahong through the MRC have been denied as the commission requires the consent of the Lao government.

Several studies have predicted significant losses in fish populations if the dam construction, which began in late 2015, moves forward. According to research presented in October at the Greater Mekong Forum on Water, Food and Energy in Phnom Penh, the Kingdom may lose up to 100 per cent of its migratory fish population as a result of Mekong river dam projects in Lao and Cambodia such as the Don Sahong.

Neither the Cambodian embassy in Laos nor a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs could be reached for comment yesterday.

Mom Saroeun, Stung Treng provincial governor, speaking yesterday, said he was unaware of the incident.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and