Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Envoy calls out KDC firm

Envoy calls out KDC firm

A group of villagers stand in front of a bulldozer during a land dispute with KDC International in Kampong Chhnang
A group of villagers stand in front of a bulldozer during a land dispute with KDC International in Kampong Chhnang this week. Heng Chivoan

Envoy calls out KDC firm

United Nations Special Rapporteur for human rights Surya Subedi has called on politically connected development company KDC International to halt its project in Kampong Chhnang province.

Following violent clashes between KDC security guards and protesters on Monday, Subedi released a statement yesterday that calls on all sides in the long-running land dispute to exercise “calm and restraint”.

“I call on the company, KDC International, to immediately halt development of contested land until all claims by individual families have been properly assessed by an appropriate independent body in a fair and transparent way,” he says in the statement.

“In this case . . . I have documented convictions of community members and activists, whilst the company was able to seize possession of disputed land before a decision was rendered by a competent, independent body addressing the community’s claims that the leased land is in fact owned by individual families.”

A representative of KDC International, which is owned by Chea Kheng, the wife of Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem, could not be reached for comment.

Residents of Kampong Tralach district’s Lorpeang Chhnang village have been mired in a dispute with the firm since 2007, when it bulldozed 145 hectares of farmland.

“For . . . years now, the local community has been embroiled in a dispute over contested land and the complaints that they have sought to lodge with the court system against the authorities and KDC International for the alleged intimidation, violence and land loss, have remained unaddressed,” Subedi’s statement says.

On Monday, at least one villager was beaten unconscious and more than a dozen injured in violent clashes with company security guards armed with scythes, slingshots and iron balls.

Subedi also called on the government to do more to protect the community against human rights violations.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan and Beng Hong Socheat Khemro, deputy director-general at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget