Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - EU donates €3.5M to the KR Tribunal

EU donates €3.5M to the KR Tribunal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kaing Guek Eav was the first person tried at the KRT. NHET SOKHENG /ECCC/AFP

EU donates €3.5M to the KR Tribunal

The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) announced on Monday that the European Union (EU) has pledged a total of €3.5 million ($4.1 million) to support it in 2018, according to its press officer, Neth Peaktra.

Of the €3.5 million, €2.5 million is intended for the international section and €1.25 is reserved for the national side of the hybrid court, he added.

The ECCC, also known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal (KRT), was established in 2006 and charged with trying senior members of the Khmer Rouge regime, which was responsible for as many two million deaths in Cambodia between 1975 and its overthrow by Vietnamese troops in 1979.

Peaktra said the EU has been one of the biggest donors to the ECCC, having contributed €22.7 million since the chambers’ inception.

He said for 2018, the approved budget for the ECCC’s national component was $5.79 million, with the Cambodian government pledging $4 million, which, along with the EU’s grant, would nearly cover all of it.

Peaktra said the international side needs $34.95 million to cover the 2018-2019 period.

“The hearing of Case 002/02 against Nuon Chea [second in command in the Khmer Rouge regime] and Khieu Samphan [the former head of state] for crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide ended last June . . . The trial chambers are currently preparing the verdict for the case, which will be presented at the end of the third quarter of 2018,” Peaktra said, adding that the remaining cases were still under review.

Besides Samphan and Chea, both of whom were convicted in an earlier trial and sentenced to life in prison, the KRT, which was established in 2006, has tried Kaing Guek Eav (aka Duch), who is serving life in prison for crimes against humanity; former foreign minister Ieng Sary, who died in 2013 while his trial was ongoing; and Ieng Thirith, former minister for social action, who was found unfit to stand trial in 2012 and died in 2015.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong