Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - EU offers to fund study of Lower Sesan impact




EU offers to fund study of Lower Sesan impact

Trucks drive through a deforested area last year, removing materials from the Lower Sesan II dam construction site in Stung Treng
Trucks drive through a deforested area last year, removing materials from the Lower Sesan II dam construction site in Stung Treng. Pha Lina

EU offers to fund study of Lower Sesan impact

The European Union has offered to fund a study of the Lower Sesan II dam’s impact on fisheries, the EU’s ambassador to Cambodia said yesterday.

Jean-François Cautain, EU ambassador, said the bloc had told the Fisheries Administration that it was willing to fund a study of the controversial dam’s impact following a meeting on Monday with Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem.

“The minister expressed his full support for a comprehensive study on the dam … I indicated that the European Union had expressed to the Fisheries Administration its readiness to fund this study,” Cautain said.

Construction of the dam, which is a joint venture between Cambodia’s Royal Group and China’s Hydrolancang International, began in early 2014. Zhonghua Ren, a spokesman for the Hydro Power Lower Sesan 2 Company, did not immediately respond to a request for comment but has previously said there will be “little impact”.

Ian Baird, an academic who co-wrote a landmark 2009 study of the dam’s potential impacts, disagreed.

“The key to [the dam] is the impacts that will occur over a wide area … Fish that migrate between the Sesan and Srepok River basins will be blocked from travelling to the Tonle Sap Lake, the Mekong Delta, as well as upstream areas along the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand,” he said.

“People upstream of the dam may lose up to 85 per cent of their fish.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.