Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Event to highlight dangers of mines

Event to highlight dangers of mines

Event to highlight dangers of mines

Around 1,000 people are to participate in a series of events being held in Kratie province today aimed at raising awareness about the dangers posed by land mines, according to a statement from the UN Development Programme. Land-mine survivors, community leaders and representatives of several NGOs are expected to attend. “A decade after the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Treaty became international humanitarian law, this event provides an opportunity for those who stand to most benefit from this treaty to share their thoughts,” the statement reads. A total of 244 casualties from land mines and explosive remnants of war were reported last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not