Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Evictees prepping complaint

Evictees prepping complaint

The charred remains of a house in Koh Kong province after security members from Union Development Group torched the residence
The charred remains of a house yesterday in Koh Kong province after security members from Union Development Group torched the residence late last week. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Evictees prepping complaint

Former residents of two villages in Koh Kong province that were razed last week by security guards for Chinese firm Union Development Group are preparing to file a complaint to Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Fourteen homes were destroyed by company security guards Thursday morning, according to villagers and a representative of rights group Licadho. The villagers are now living in an empty pagoda nearby and relying on donations of food and water.

Ses Sengheang, a representative of the evicted villagers who is still living in the UDG concession, said the evictees’ situation was precarious.

“We are now in a bad way with food, but luckily the neighbours helped us a lot by giving some of the little food they have,” she said.

Touch Sreymao, 37, said she was wounded when the guards attacked the villagers with stones, axes and knives.

“When I saw them [security guards] destroying the houses I went to help. They threw many big rocks at us and I got hit in the thigh,” she said.

Sreymao’s house escaped destruction on Thursday, but she now worries for her safety.

“I’m worried they will come again and destroy my house, too. But I’m no longer scared of those people. I’ll keep on defending my land and I won’t go anywhere.”

UDG security official Ly Techhai could not be reached.

Kiri Sakor District Governor Khem Chanti said the government’s security forces could not respond to the attack on time.

“We are really sorry that we could not do anything. As you know, the company has big, fast, modern cars. The conflict site is far away, and we did not know it was happening so we couldn’t take action in time.”

Licadho provincial coordinator In Kong Chit said UDG’s attack on the villagers went against an order from Hun Sen, and cut villagers off from their essential source of food: fish.

“The company ignored the prime minister’s orders. I will send a report” to the authorities, he said.

The land in dispute falls inside a gigantic 36,000-hectare concession granted in 2008. About $10 million out of the $3.8 billion development plan for the project has been set aside for relocation and compensation, according to UDG.

Villagers’ compensation packages are more attractive than is normally the case, including a house, farmland and financial reimbursement for property lost. But many villagers who will lose access to the coastal fishing they rely upon have rejected UDG’s offers.

“I used think of how much compensation I wanted, but where they moved us to, it seems hard to live. None of us want the compensation anymore,” Sengheang said.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,