Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Evictees seek help from PM

Evictees seek help from PM

Evictees seek help from PM

091020_03
Hourn Kunthea, 60, takes cover in a makeshift shelter with her remaining possessions at Chroy Changvar on Monday.

RESIDENTS who were evicted from their homes in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district last week staged a protest in front of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Takhmao residence on Monday after appealing unsuccessfully to local authorities for an improved compensation offer.

On Thursday, government workers entered the villages of Bei and Duem Kor in Russey Keo’s Chroy Changvar commune and tore down the homes of more than 20 families to make way for a road being built in conjunction with the construction of a new bridge that will connect Chroy Changvar peninsula to central Phnom Penh.

Russey Keo district authorities offered the affected villagers US$500 and 4-metre-by-8-metre plots of land in Meanchey district’s Thnout Chrum village as compensation. But villagers, who are living in tents near the site of their former homes, said the offer was inadequate.

Upon raising this grievance to Chroy Changvar commune officials on Monday, evictees said they were rebuffed, with the officials citing more pressing business relating to voter registration and the upcoming Water Festival.

“They said they will resolve our problem after the Water Festival, but we cannot wait because right now we are homeless,” said 40-year-old Sok Kim Hor, a representative of the evictees.

Pech Saroeun, the chief of Chroy Changvar commune, said there was little he could do to help the evictees.

“We lower-level authorities do not have the power to grant social land concessions,” he said, adding that he had advised the villager to take the government offer.

Following their meeting with commune officials, villagers travelled on to Takhmao, planning to return there again once they have filed a formal complaint regarding their compensation.

“We will file a complaint to Prime Minister Hun Sen to request a decent level of compensation, and we hope he will provide us justice,” Sok Kim Hor said.

Russey Keo Deputy Governor Koub Sleh said his office was unlikely to budge on the compensation issue.

“We are waiting for their decision to accept our offer because they were living on public land for a development project,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong