Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities on Saturday at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied
Flattened makeshift stalls litter the ground after they were torn down by authorities on Saturday at Ochheuteal Beach. Photo supplied

Eviction of beach businesses begins at Ochheuteal

Fourteen business owners from Ochheuteal Beach in Sihanoukville plan to file official complaints after provincial joint forces pulled down their stores over the weekend as authorities finally began the long-planned – and controversial – eviction of beachside businesses.

On Saturday, 100 personnel led by the deputy governor of Sihanoukville used excavators to destroy the 14 beachfront stores, each belonging to a local family. The operation finally made good on the government’s warning last month that it will demolish more than 100 businesses located on Ochheuteal, Otres and Royal beaches if they don’t clear out by March 13.

Despite having advance notice, Phoeuk Sokhen, the representative of the beach’s small business community, said that authorities ploughed ahead without allowing the business owners a chance to reach an agreement with the local government.

“It is unfair. They used forces to intimidate and insult people, to send them to jail and they wanted to burn down the properties,” said Sokhen. “We will not leave the land; we will sleep under the trees since we have not received any solution.”

The 14 owners and their families plan to deliver petitions to the prime minister and the Ministry of Land Management after Khmer New Year. According to Sokhen, authorities offered compensation of $3,500 per store, which he said would not be enough to set up business elsewhere.

Provincial Governor Yun Min said removing the stores will improve the public beach before the holiday and the operation was approved by a national committee. “This beach has been banned from selling for years,” said Min. “Previously, we have provided [the holdouts] with [compensation] policies and some of them agreed to take it, but others did not.”

Businesses on Royal and Otres will be pulled down later, he said, but did not say when.

Douglas McColl, the vice president of Sihanoukville Tourism Association said that the demolition finally drove home the point that the government is serious about clearing the beaches of businesses. “The real question is what they are going to do later – can you re-lease on the waterfront, and under what conditions?”

Provincial officials did not comment on future leasing terms yesterday.

Buon Narith, the provincial coordinator of Licadho, said he was disappointed in the authorities’ rush to pull down the stores, saying it was motivated by the desire to rent out the location to a Thai concert company.

“The authorities should understand [the business owners] and let them run their businesses during Khmer New Year,” he said. “They should let them pull down their stores by themselves.”

He added that if the authorities force the vendors to move out, the tourism service for international visitors could suffer.

Additional reporting by Igor Kossov

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the