Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-CNRP commune chief in court



Ex-CNRP commune chief in court

Former Poipet Commune Chief Chao Veasna appears at the Supreme Court last year. He was tried with nine others on Monday over a protest that turned violent in the border town in 2015.
Former Poipet Commune Chief Chao Veasna appears at the Supreme Court last year. He was tried with nine others on Monday over a protest that turned violent in the border town in 2015. Pha Lina

Ex-CNRP commune chief in court

The Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court held a hearing on Monday in the trial of former CNRP Commune Chief Chao Veasna, local unionist Mang Puthy and eight transportation workers in relation to a 2015 protest that turned violent in the border town.

Veasna, a former opposition commune chief, was arrested in 2017 and charged with incitement and for being an “accomplice” to the destruction of property, nearly two years after transportation workers hurled rocks at the Poipet Customs Department building.

Demonstrators protesting import taxes were dispersed after Military Police fired warning shots, with one protester seriously injured after being beaten by police. Veasna has claimed he was only observing the protest in his capacity as a local official.

He went on to win the 2017 commune elections while still in prison, but lost his position following the forced dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party in November.

Unionist Puthy, who is facing the same charges, says he came to the protest because some of the protesting workers were represented by his union. He was at the centre of a controversy last year involving a Poipet immigration officer who claimed Puthy hit him with an SUV. A video of the incident showed that Puthy’s car was stationary when Chhean Pisith, the officer in question, abruptly dropped to the ground in front of it.

Veasna, Puthy and one transportation worker, Yim Sothy – who along with the other workers is charged with destruction of property – were the only accused present at court, with Licadho Coordinator In Kongchit saying the hearing had been delayed three times. A verdict is expected on Tuesday.

“He [Veasna] said he did not commit anything wrong, he did not incite people, he did not order them to hurl the rocks,” Kongchit said.

Puthy, president of the Cambodia Informal Economy Reinforced Association, told the court that he was not in Poipet town when the protest started and only reached the city later, attempting to broker a compromise between officials and workers.

“I did not go to incite them. I did not collude as the prosecutor charged me,” he said.

Veasna’s lawyer, Choung Choungy, only said that the verdict was expected on Tuesday morning. He also filed another bail request for the former commune chief.

Veasna has requested bail in the past citing poor health and was hospitalised last June for an appendix surgery.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting