Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-drug czar points finger back at system

Ex-drug czar points finger back at system

Ex-drug czar points finger back at system

Former anti-drugs chief Moek Dara yesterday directed the accusations against him back at the justice system, saying that since he was being tried, so should the prosecutors and investigative judges involved in the drug cases he had managed.

The Court of Appeal yesterday neared the end of Dara and former anti-drugs police chief Chea Leng’s hearing, which addressed 10 among a raft of criminal cases against the two men, including accusations that they released drug criminals in exchange for bribes, destroyed evidence and seized drugs for their own purposes.

“The court has accused me of signing off on fake cases and releasing criminals,” Dara told the court yesterday.

“So I think the prosecutors and investigative judges who have been involved in my cases must also be charged and punished because they also signed off on them.”

Dara, Leng and their lawyers yesterday denied the existence of real evidence against the two men and asked the Court of Appeal to overturn the Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court’s 2011 conviction and release them.

“The court has accused me of receiving bribes, so the court should also accuse those who have bribed me and those who received bribes to influence the outcomes of trials, in accordance with corruption law,” Dara said.

“I consider all the accusations against me as merely the accumulation of garbage to be burned in a mountain of fire,” he added.

He and Leng reiterated that they had been set up by drugs criminals angered by their work.

“They were angry with me, so they set up the cases,” Leng said, adding that the witnesses who might have been able to back him up had been imprisoned and forced to accuse him to reduce their own sentences.   

Chay Chandaravann, the Appeal Court’s presiding judge, said that the hearing will continue tomorrow.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked