Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-officer’s sentence reduced

Ex-officer’s sentence reduced

Former military officer Chhoeun Chanthan appears at an appeal hearing late last month.
Former military officer Chhoeun Chanthan appears at an appeal hearing late last month. Pha Lina

Ex-officer’s sentence reduced

A former senior military officer and bodyguard for the late Senate president Chea Sim saw his lengthy prison term reduced at the Court of Appeal, his attorney said yesterday.

After being arrested in 2011, Chhoeun Chanthan was sentenced to a total of 36 years in prison on a host of charges brought in both civilian and military court relating to weapons possession, forgery, embezzlement and military misconduct, among other things. He was also slapped with millions in fines and damages.

At an appeal hearing late last month, however, he saw his military court sentence slashed from 26 years to just 15, according to defence attorney Put Theavy.

Theavy said the reason for the sentence reduction was that all of Chanthan’s assets – including villas, land and the assets of his import-export business – had been seized by the Ministry of National Defence, the plaintiff in the case.

“Mr Chhoeun Chanthan is now empty-handed, and has nothing left besides the military prison room that he stays in.”

Theavy said that he will appeal for a further sentence reduction to the Supreme Court. A clerk there confirmed yesterday that Chanthan’s case was on the agenda for some time next month.

A previous version of this story implied Chanthan's sentence had been almost halved from 36 years to 15 years. The Appeal Court's decision referred only to his military court sentencing, which was reduced from 26 years to 15 years. His 10-year sentence in a civil case still stands after it was upheld by the Supreme Court. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to

  • App to connect farmers to millions

    The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has soft-launched a mobile app that connects farmers with potential buyers and gives them access to critical market information. The ministry’s Agriculture Marketing Office chief Meach Yady said the ‘CamAgriMarket’ app gives farmers a platform to showcase