Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-official’s sentence for shooting reduced

Ex-official’s sentence for shooting reduced

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Duch Sovannareth was initially sentenced to two and a half years in prison for shooting and injuring the victim in 2017. Police

Ex-official’s sentence for shooting reduced

Phnom Penh Appeal Court judge Seng Sivutha on Tuesday reduced the sentence of a former National Assembly-Senate Relations official who shot and injured a music operator at a club in 2017 after his lawyer said he was aware of his mistake and the victim withdrew his complaint.

Duch Sovannareth, 34, the perpetrator of the crime, pleaded his case at a hearing on August 24. He was initially sentenced to two and a half years in prison but will now serve just two years for shooting and injuring the victim, Bie Samoeun, 33, who also suffered a broken leg in the attack.

Sovannareth confessed to the crime on Tuesday before asking the judge to reduce his sentence.

According to Samoeun’s report, he withdrew the complaint because he is friends with Sovannareth. Samoeun said he received compensation from Sovannareth and considered the matter settled.

Sivutha said because of this, Sovannareth’s sentence was reduced to two years in prison.

The Appeal Court’s report said in November 2017, Sovannareth had a dispute with a man called Seiha. Samoeun tried to stop Sovannareth from escalating the dispute and Sovannareth then shot Samoeun twice, injuring his right leg and left hip.

Sovannareth shot many more rounds into the ceiling before escaping. In January 2018, he was arrested in Oddar Meanchey province and taken to Phnom Penh.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court heard the case that January and issued a verdict on March 21, last year. The court charged him with violence with aggravating circumstance and sentenced him to two and a half years in prison.

Sivutha also issued a verdict on a separate case involving Sovannareth on Tuesday. Previously, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced him to four years imprisonment for violently stealing a necklace from a victim.

Sivutha reduced the sentence to three years imprisonment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Omicron patients can stay home: PM

    The Ministry of Health has issued a directive on the treatment of people who have tested positive for the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant, following a suggestion from Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of January 21. The directive permits home quarantine for those who

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • Cambodia’s first ever anime festival kicks off Jan 22 at capital’s F3 centre

    Phnom Penh's first ever Anime Festival will bring together fans, artists, shops and other local businesses with ties to the Japanese animation style for cosplay competitions, online games, pop-up shops and more on January 22, with Friends Futures Factory (F3) hosting. F3 is a project that

  • Demining rat ‘hero’ Magawa dead at 8

    A landmine-hunting rat that was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing ordnance from the Cambodian countryside has died, his charity said on January 11. Magawa, a giant African pouched rat originally from Tanzania, helped clear mines from about 225,000sqm of land – the equivalent of 42

  • Hun Sen gets 4th Covid shot, urges compatriots to follow

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and his wife Bun Rany on January 14 received their fourth dose of Covid-19 vaccine and called on compatriots to follow suit as the Omicron coronavirus variant continues to spread in the community. This marks the launch of Cambodia's fourth-dose vaccination campaign,

  • Fourth dose Covid booster drive jabs 43K in two days

    In the first two days of the fourth-dose Covid-19 vaccination campaign, more than 43,000 people volunteered to get the jabs, while over 4.6 million people have received a third shot. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said that fourth-dose vaccinations, which began on January 14 exclusively with the Pfizer