Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-official’s sentence upheld by top court

Ex-official’s sentence upheld by top court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former Pursat provincial cadastral department director Liem Bunroeun. Bokonews

Ex-official’s sentence upheld by top court

The Supreme Court on October 28 upheld the verdict sentencing former Pursat provincial cadastral department director Liem Bunroeun to eight years in prison and the forfeiture of two houses, one car and $17,000.

At the hearing, Presiding Judge Yu Yuthara read the verdict in the presence of Bunroeun and his lawyer, who claimed the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and the Appeal Court did not consider the fact that Bunrouen cooperated with authorities during his arrest and questioning before deciding on the verdict.

Bunroeun requested that the Supreme Court lighten his punishment by allowing him to keep his house in the Borey Peng Huoth gated community in the capital’s Stung Meanchey commune and his house in Pursat province, his car and the $17,000 he paid.

Judge Yuthara said: “The request is not something the Supreme Court can consider. The verdicts and warrants of both courts have been decided already and their decisions were proper as per the law. We, therefore, uphold the lower courts’ verdict.”

According to the court report, Bunroeun was arrested on July 27, last year, following a complaint from a victim who said he demanded $100,000 in exchange for legal certification to construct a company building.

The report said Bunroeun owns a house in Borey Peng Huoth, two houses in Pursat and two cars. He was sent to the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) before being referred to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The municipal court first sentenced Bunroeun on February 27 this year on charges of abuse of power and money laundering. The Appeal Court upheld the verdict on October 21.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The