Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-RFA reporters summonsed to court over ongoing detention

Ex-RFA reporters summonsed to court over ongoing detention

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former RFA reporter Yeang Sothearin leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday after being questioned in March. Pha Lina

Ex-RFA reporters summonsed to court over ongoing detention

Two former Radio Free Asia journalists have been summonsed to appear in court on May 16, likely to review the extension of their six-month detention which has seen human rights groups calling for their “unconditional release”, while government officials think such calls violate court procedure.

Former journalists Yeang Sothearin and Oun Chhin were arrested on November 14, 2017, and sent to court to face charges of espionage four days later. They were then sent to pretrial detention.

No trial date has been set. RFA shut down its operation in Cambodia in September 2017.

Defence lawyer Keo Vanny told The Post on Sunday that “the municipal court called me to appear on May 16 with the two clients”. “We’re reaching the end of their six-month pretrial detention,” he said. “If they don’t have enough evidence, they should close the investigation and release them.”

However, he said, the court can decide to further extend their detention for another six months.

In a statement released by Human Rights Watch on Sunday, Brad Adams, Asia director at HRW, said the charges against them should be dropped immediately and called the arrest part of an “ongoing crackdown on the media, civil society groups, and political opposition.”

“Ahead of July’s national elections, Prime Minister Hun Sen has been filling Cambodia’s prisons with journalists, activists, and politicians,” said Adams. “In its reprisals against RFA for its critical reporting, the government has concocted absurd espionage charges against former journalists Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin, who should be freed immediately.”

Chin Malin, spokesman for the Ministry of Justice, denounced the statement by HRW, saying “it’s not strange that they accuse the government illegally”.

“Their charges are under investigating procedure. How can the government release them? We cannot put pressure on the court,” he said. “If HRW wants to help the two, they should join in the court’s procedure . . . they can find good lawyers to defend the case.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s