Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-TV presenter acquitted in legal battle with tycoon

Ex-TV presenter acquitted in legal battle with tycoon

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Pich Rita, formerly a TV presenter and Miss Grand Cambodia contestant, shows up at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court last month. Facebook

Ex-TV presenter acquitted in legal battle with tycoon

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has decided to drop the charge against Mean Pich Rita, a former Miss Grand Cambodia contestant and TV presenter involved in counter suits with tycoon Heng Sear, who held the honorific Oknha.

Pich Rita, 20, was initially placed in pre-trial detention on May 11 on charge of theft with aggravating circumstances for allegedly stealing Sear’s iPhone and attacking him with a knife. Later that day, she filed a counter suit against Sear, 60, for “attempted rape” in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district on May 4.

She was later released on bail on May 13 after being provided with legal assistance from Prime Minister Hun Sen’s volunteer lawyer group.

According to a letter signed by Investigating Judge Koy Sao and deputy prosecutor Song Chavoan on June 7, the charge against her was now dropped.

In the letter, Judge Koy Sao explained that Pich Rita did not commit actions that could be regarded as aggravated theft merely because there was violence involved. On the contrary, he said, Pich Rita had acted in self-defence against misconduct perpetrated by Sear.

“We decided to drop the charges against Mean Pich Rita, 20, for aggravated theft … a criminal offence punishable under articles 353 and 357 of the Criminal Code,” said the letter.

The court also decided to return the phones that had been confiscated from Sear and Pich Rita as evidence but retained the small knife since it was a weapon.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.