Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-workers accused of incitement

Ex-workers accused of incitement

Ex-workers accused of incitement

NGO worker also summoned in separate incitement complaint.

AT LEAST five laid-off workers received summonses on Wednesday to answer to criminal defamation, disinformation and incitement complaints, and one NGO provincial coordinator was summonsed to answer to a separate incitement complaint, continuing the recent spate of complaints that NGOs and other observers have criticised as aimed at curtailing free speech in the Kingdom.

Gregory Goh, the human resources director at NagaWorld Hotel and Casino, on July 20 filed a complaint accusing 14 employees involved in an ongoing labour dispute with criminal defamation, disinformation and incitement.

Five of the employees have been summonsed to Phnom Penh Municipal Court between today and Monday, and union leader Sok Narith, who was among the five, said they planned to appear.

"We did nothing wrong," said Sok Narith, head of a union that represents 1,000 Naga workers. "We have just made peaceful demands for the freedom of the workers. And so far we have not yet held any public protests."

The dispute stems from the layoffs of 14 Naga employees in February, which union leaders said resulted from a dispute over annual bonuses.
Naga management has blamed the economic crisis for the firings. The union has pushed for the reinstatement of the employees and in recent weeks has threatened on several occasions to strike.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court Deputy Prosecutor Hing Bunchea told the Post Wednesday that he issued the summonses so as to investigate the complaints.

Goh could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Hay Voleap, Naga's deputy human resources manager, said he could not comment on the case.

Also Wednesday, Adhoc's Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator said he had received a summons to appear in provincial court in connection with an ongoing land dispute between the DM Group and ethnic minority villagers in Kanlaeng commune.

Investigating Judge Thoang Saron declined to say who had filed the incitement complaint against Pen Bonnar.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CHRANN CHAMROEUN

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges