Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Exam budget surplus: Gov’t

Exam budget surplus: Gov’t

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A student has his identification and student card checked as part of the registration process at Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district during the national exams last year. Pha Lina

Exam budget surplus: Gov’t

The Ministry of Education plans to spend less than its allocated $3 million budget for the upcoming high school exit exam due to a decrease in this year’s exam registrants, an education official confirmed yesterday.

Ros Salin, a spokesman for the ministry, said it will only use $2.8 million of its earmarked budget.

In 2014, 91,373 students registered for the exam, but after the ministry’s crackdown on rampant cheating, which led the passing rate to initially plummet from 87 per cent in 2013 to a disastrous 25 per cent, only 88,488 candidates opted to take this year’s test.

A second exam last year mandated by Prime Minister Hun Sen saw just 18 per cent pass.

“This year, the students taking the exam in grade 12 are fewer, and for those who failed last year . . . only 5,000 enrolled in the exam again, while others might have found jobs or other choices for education,” he said.

In preparation for the August 24 exam, Salin said that the Education Ministry will begin preparing questionnaires on August 4 and will relay instructions to arbitrators and observers from August 15 to 20.

The Anti-Corruption Unit, which helped with the 2014 clampdown, plans to further tighten its rules in monitoring the irregularities in this year’s exam.

Speaking after the signing ceremony of an agreement with the Union of Youth Federation of Cambodia on Wednesday, ACU head Om Yentieng said that individuals who apply to be observers during the exam must prove that they have no conflict of interest to be eligible for the position – a practice that was not applied last year.

“For example, if I was an observer in Toul Tom Poung II High School, I would have to be clear that I have no brothers, sisters or relatives in the school.

And if I did, I would need to be transferred to observe in a different centre to avoid any conflict of interest,” he said.

So far, 3,000 post-secondary students have applied for the observer positions.

The number, Yentieng added, is lower than the 4,000 applicants they had at the same time last year for the previous exam.

In late April, Yentieng announced that the national exam will be stricter than the previous year, and those who commit infractions may be sentenced to imprisonment ranging from six months to two years.

Sorn Chey, a rights worker with the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability in East Asia and the Pacific, said he was optimistic about the anti-cheating measures the ministry plans to take.

However, he added that imprisonment might not be the answer.

“I think jail penalties might affect the reputation of the students,” Chey said.

“The ACU should be focusing and resolving other complaints and not taking too much time to focus on this.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a