Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Exam score blunder solved



Exam score blunder solved

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students file complaints with the Ministry of Education earlier this week over the results of their high school examinations. Heng Chivoan

Exam score blunder solved

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said its computerised score calculation process had experienced technical problems that affected the mathematics examination scores of 740 classes.

This was found when its committee, established to address dissatisfaction over the results of the high school, investigated the complaints.

After solving the technical problem, the results of the August 20 examinations showed that the total number of successful candidates is now 76,034 (67.07 per cent). There are now 408 grade-A candidates, grade-B (2,222), grade-C (6,041), grade-D (15,180) and grade-E (52,183).

The ministry will issue new results for science classes on Friday on the ministry’s Facebook page and on Saturday in the education department.

Ministry spokesman Dy Khamboly told The Post yesterday: “The ministry has already corrected [the error] and the new results will be announced on Friday. These will be the nationwide results.”

The announcement came on the back of the Cambodian Independent Teachers Association (CITA) on Thursday asking the ministry to delay scholarship and university entrance examinations in order to give the newly established committee another week to examine high school students’ complaints about their examinations results.

In a letter addressed to the minister, Hang Chuon Naron, CITA said many students had filed complaints about the mathematics portion of the test.

The document asks that entrance and scholarship examinations be delayed so that students filing a complaint may know their true score.

“We note the irregularity in the students’ examination results. The results disappointed them, especially the outstanding mathematics students."

“On behalf of CITA, I would like to ask the ministry to delay the examinations until there is a solution for the complaints,” said Ouk Chayavy, CITA president.

Khamboly told The Post on Thursday that the ministry had received CITA’s letter, but the committee is continuing to work on reviews.

“There is no policy yet. Let’s give time for the committee to work first before issuing a policy. We need time to work … the committee is actively working day and night,” he said.

Khamboly said as of Thursday evening, more than 1,000 students had submitted complaints to the ministry over the examination results.

After a surge in complaints earlier this week, the ministry formed a committee with the sole purpose of addressing the issues.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting