Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Exiled prince to go to trial

Exiled prince to go to trial

Exiled prince to go to trial

THE two most severe charges against exiled Prince Norodom Sirivudh have been dropped,

but he still faces a possible 15-year jail sentence.

The Phnom Penh Municipal court has scheduled the in absentia trial of Sirivudh for

Feb 15, according to written notification received by his lawyers on Feb 6. Say Bory,

one of his lawyers, said the charges of terrorism and seeking to destroy the government

had been dropped.

A charge of criminal conspiracy, under an organized crime provision in the UNTAC

criminal code, remained. A new charge relating to illegal weapons had been added.

The organized crime charge, article 36 of the UNTAC law - which refers to "a

formal or informal association" of people who undertake "specific acts

of preparation" to commit crimes - provides for a three to 15 year prison sentence.

Article 54, the illegal weapon charge, allows a maximum sentence of three years for

the "unlawful bearing or transporting of illicit weapons."

The weapons charge is believed to relate to guns found at his house during a police

search. Sirivudh and his wife have said some were his bodyguards' guns, others were

antiques.

The other two dropped charges, under a State of Cambodia terrorism law and the Royal

government's law that outlaws the Khmer Rouge, would have seen Sirivudh facing a

20-30 year sentence, or life imprisonment.

Say Bory would not say whether a postponement of the trial would be sought, until

he had had time to discuss the defense stategy with his colleague Heng Chy. Sirivudh,

in France, was unavailable for comment but has previously expressed the desire to

be allowed to return to Cambodia for his trial.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (