Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Expansion approved for Bokor National Park



Expansion approved for Bokor National Park

A mock-up of a planned development in Bokor National Park is shown at a meeting between Ministry of Environment officials and Sokha Hotels group representatives on Monday. Facebook
A mock-up of a planned development in Bokor National Park is shown at a meeting between Ministry of Environment officials and Sokha Hotels group representatives on Monday. Facebook

Expansion approved for Bokor National Park

New resorts, restaurants and casinos could be coming to Bokor National Park after environment officials endorsed an “improved” plan for the mountain along with oknha Sok Kong’s hotel company, according to the government’s news agency.

Ministry officials declined to elaborate on specifics of the 18,000-hectare project, although the agency posted photos of what appeared to be mock-ups of new developments on the mountain on Facebook.

Reached yesterday, Minister of Environment Say Samal told a reporter not to “worry too much” about the Monday meeting, claiming that nothing had been decided.

When pressed further on why he was approving new developments inside a national park, Samal asked the reporter where she had “park[ed] your spaceship”.

“There are areas we allow development and there are areas set for conservation,” Samal said in a message. “Let us have some homo sapiens reasons in us, rather than orangutan.”

Bokor Mountain, once a misty 1920s French colonial retreat, was occupied by the Khmer Rouge for years before being revived as a national park in 1993.

In 2007, the park was leased to Kong in a $1 billion, 99-year deal to redevelop the summit. Since then, Kong’s company has built a road, two luxury hotels and several condominiums on the mountaintop with plans for residential developments.

It was not clear whether the “improved” plan was a continuation of the development or a new project.

Kong could not be reached yesterday. A company representative in the marketing department said the project “is handled by top management only”.

In an email, environmental activist Ouch Leng said he was “very concerned” about Kong’s development of the park, noting the lack of transparency in decision-making.

“According to legal procedure, [development] must be approved by the King and National Assembly first, but it is not surprising that Government of Cambodia rents the national park [and] never conducts public consultation with the people that is owner of the country in theory,” Leng said.

Chea Sam Ang, director of conservation at the Ministry of Environment, insisted yesterday that the concept of the development “is to protect all the nature”.

Sam Ang, who said the expansion will be an ecotourism project, added that the previous casino, hotels and condominiums that Kong built on the summit had not disturbed the natural environment.
“Why?” he asked. “That area, they built a casino a long time ago already.”

Jackson Frechette, a flagship species manager of Fauna and Flora International Cambodia, said the centre of the 140,000-hectare park remains largely intact, leaving hope that it could be developed into an ecotourism site.

However, that requires a big commitment from law enforcement, he said.

“Sokha Hotels mentioned they wanted to develop protective activities and ecotourism,” Frechette said. “Whether they show up to the table remains to be seen.”

Mother Nature founder Alex Gonzalez-Davidson, however, said he felt the mountain was already unrecognisable as a national park after years of development.

He added that the planned expansion “pretty much reinforces what we’re seeing in Cambodia for over 15 years, where powerful elites grab land which belongs to all Cambodians and basically steal it from the state for private benefit.”

Additional reporting by Mech Dara

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.