Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Expansion of Beehive shot down

Expansion of Beehive shot down

Expansion of Beehive shot down

Information Minister Khieu Kanharith yesterday shot down a recent request from Beehive Radio director Mam Sonando for a TV licence and increased radio reach, saying that there was simply no more bandwidth to go around.

In a letter to Din Phannara, acting director of Beehive – one of the country’s only independent broadcasters – Kanharith states that “the Information Ministry regrets that it does not have any radio and television frequency to provide as per your request”.

Houn Phannary, Sonando’s assistant, maintained yesterday that Beehive, which is often critical of the government, had been singled out for unfair treatment.

“I think it is so unfair to Beehive Radio station that the other radio and television stations can expand their frequencies or stations, but not our station,” she said.

According to Phannary, Sonando has sent a letter to the Phnom Penh governor to inform him of his intention to protest the decision.

“We will protest in front of the Information Ministry on January 27,” she said, adding that about 200 protesters were expected to join.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Peeling back layers of prehistory in Battambang

    When the man passed away, he had not yet reached 50. He belonged to a tribe that had settled near the Sangker River in Battambang province, likely cultivating the fields and raising animals. On the side, they hunted for boars, and even turtles, one of which