Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Experts to inspect Siem Reap buildings



Experts to inspect Siem Reap buildings

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rubble at the site of the collapsed building in Siem Reap. SIEM REAP POLICE

Experts to inspect Siem Reap buildings

Authorities in Siem Reap have issued a stop work order at a building site where a teenage worker was killed on Sunday after part of the structure collapsed.

It has been confirmed that the building belongs to the sister of the province’s deputy police chief.

Siem Reap city Land Management Office head Sar Chan Phallin said on Monday that all activities were ordered to stop at the building after 16-year-old Khum Pick was killed and four other workers seriously injured when part of the building crumbled.

“At the moment, experts are instructing the building owner to make a legal document asking for renovations in order to discuss with experts, the techniques to be used to renovate this old building,” Phallin said.

The building, located on the city’s well-known Pub Street, collapsed around 1am on Sunday while renovations were taking place.

The original structure dates to the French colonial period. It has been used as a restaurant for the past few years before it was sold to Ly Kim Mey, who owns Siem Reap’s well-known Temple Bar and is the sister of Ly Kong Srun, Siem Reap province’s deputy police chief.

On Monday Khum Pich’s mother, Chuon Lorb, 46, told The Post that she was not angry at the building owner despite the loss of her son.

“I know after the incident happened, the building owner, workers, contractor and local authorities have intervened to help my son and other victims."

“Unfortunately, my son was injured badly and could not be saved. The building owner is generous and responsible by paying $3,500 to us for the funeral expenses,” she said.

Family members of the four injured workers expressed similar sentiments, saying all but 18-year-old Mut Ry had already left the hospital.

Kim Mey could not be reached for comment on Monday, but her brother, Kong Srun told The Post that the company halted its renovation activities temporarily as it was liaising with experts.

“In fact, my sister wants to renovate the building and use it as a restaurant and guesthouse, but she wants to preserve the original style.

“However, they had not done anything yet to the building and they just prepared some materials for renovation when the building collapsed. At the moment, she is waiting for instructions and decisions from the experts,” Kong Srun said.

In a letter to deputy prime minister Sar Kheng shortly after the collapse, Siem Reap provincial governor Khem Bun Song said the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction will work with provincial officials to identify vulnerable colonial-era structures in the area and advise them to perform renovations.

In the letter, Khem Bun Song confirmed that “the experts will inspect the surrounding buildings in that area in order to ensure which buildings can continue to be used and which ones can cause high risks and requires renovation”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital