Nineteen road traffic accidents occurred on the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway during the one-month free trial period as nearly 440,000 vehicles used the road, with the operator receiving more than 1,200 calls seeking help and requesting information.
While the Ministry of Public Works and Transport allowed the public to use the expressway free of charge for the month of October, vehicles began being charged on November 1.
The company administering the expressway – China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) – has discounted toll fees by 20 per cent for the first year of operation, with drivers paying between $12 and $60 to use the 187.05km stretch of road.
“For the 31 days of the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway free trial period – which started at 7am on October 1, 2022 and ended at 12 midnight on October 31 – 437,381 vehicles travelled on the road,” the Ministry of Public Works said on November 2.
The figure was compiled at eight exits and entrances, with there being 19 accidents, or some 0.004 per cent of the traffic recorded, it added.
“Nearly 440,000 vehicles used the road, and the company was contacted 1,291 times by people seeking help and for information inquires,” the ministry said.
It called on all users to drive safely, following the stringent guidelines for driving on the expressway and obeying the road traffic law.
Minister of Public Works Sun Chanthol on October 27 said that fines became effective on November 1 as drivers began being charged for using the expressway.
Around 200 cameras had been installed along the highway, with 18 traffic police officials monitoring them round the clock, ready to intervene, he added.
Kim Pagna, country director of the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation, said the expressway management should strictly enforce the law and impose fines on law-breaking activities to minimise traffic road accidents.