Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory ordered to clean act

Factory ordered to clean act

Factory ordered to clean act

The Ministry of Labour has ordered management at a Kandal province garment factory to clean their workroom and limit employees’ overtime hours, in response to over 100 workers fainting over two days.

During a visit to King First Industrial Co, Ltd’s Kandal location yesterday, Seng Sakada, director-general of the Labour Ministry, cited excessive overtime, insufficient ventilation and poor sanitation as likely causes for Thursday and Friday’s mass faintings.

“The employees work so much overtime, they are weak to the point of fainting,” Sakada said, adding that some employees work two to four extra hours every day. “The factory [also] must rid the workplace of all pollution in the air.”

Sakada said Labour Ministry inspectors will follow up with surprise inspections.

A King First official who spoke on condition of anonymity said factory management would follow the ministry’s order.

Nearly 60 workers fainted at King First’s Kandal location on Friday morning, Khouth Touch, president of the factory’s Free Trade Union chapter, said.

A day before, about 50 workers at the same branch fainted. King First administrative officer Chea Houth said ventilation had not been a factor.

King First’s location in the capital’s Russey Keo district temporarily closed its doors last year after paint fumes caused about 60 workers to faint.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will