Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory owner reinstates workers following protest



Factory owner reinstates workers following protest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers protest outside the Sees Global (Cambodia) Co Ltd factory in Kandal province on Monday. facebook

Factory owner reinstates workers following protest

The owner of the Sees Global (Cambodia) Co Ltd factory in Kandal province’s Khsach Kandal district has agreed to allow the return of workers and promised to keep their seniority after more than 500 of them protested on Monday morning.

The protesters had attempted to present a petition asking for the intervention of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

The Cambodian Youth Power Union League’s Sieng Rithy said the decision came after negotiations on Monday between the factory owner, workers’ representatives and officials from the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training.

The workers had not gathered in front of Hun Sen’s house as officials from the prime minister’s cabinet received their petition after they had protested at the factory demanding their case be resolved, he said.

“Though it is not ideal, it is a resolution acceptable to us. After the factory employer moved location, he came forward and took responsibility. He has agreed to allow the return of his workers at the new factory and keep their seniority,” Rithy said.

He said all the workers had agreed to and were satisfied with the outcome. They would return to work at the new factory in early January.

Worker Mai Chan who had been employed at the factory for eight years expressed delight that an eight-day effort by the workers had resulted in a satisfactory solution.

“This is thanks to the high-ranking officials who came to resolve the issue. I’m happy that they showed concern for us and had the matter resolved quickly,” Chan said.

On December 14, hundreds of workers at Sees Global protested when the South Korean employer closed the factory without paying them seniority allowance. He then opened a new factory near the old location.

Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training spokesman Heng Sour told The Post on Monday that the employer had said during negotiations that all the workers would be reinstated with seniority. He said he approved of the resolution and wanted talks sooner to end the dispute.

“When workers agree to a solution, the ministry will act in accordance with it,” Sour said.

The factory owner and officials from the prime minister’s cabinet who received the petition could not be reached for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting