High levels of ammonium have been found in the water used by the Suntex garment factory,
according to Kert Meach, Deputy Director of Phnom Penh's Health Department.
By Aug 15, 523 workers at the plant had been sent to hospital for food poisoning
after consuming meals provided by the factory. Ten workers still remain in hospital.
Meach said the rice and soup provided by the factory could not be tested as none
Albert Tan, the Suntex general manager, told the Post the water system would be changed
and all food examined to ensure worker safety.