Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory rejects order to rehire 19 workers




Factory rejects order to rehire 19 workers

SL Garment factory workers clash with police during a rally in Phnom Penh earlier this month
SL Garment factory workers clash with police during a rally in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Pha Lina

Factory rejects order to rehire 19 workers

Flouting a government order, representatives of SL Garment Processing (Cambodia) Ltd yesterday refused to rehire 19 union representatives and activists during a meeting with the Ministry of Labour.

Rehiring the 19 has been the key sticking point in ending the three-month-old strike, which erupted into violence two weeks ago today in an incident that left an uninvolved bystander killed by a police bullet.

The order to rehire the workers – all active members of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union (C.CAWDU) – came just days after the shooting.

“The employers at SL strongly refused to accept the 19 workers back,” said Sat Sakmoth, secretary of state at the Labour Ministry who attended the four-hour meeting. “I tried my best to explain to them that we will send the case to court now because of their decision.”

Joseph Kee Leung Lee, director of SL International Holdings, declined to comment after the meeting last night, telling a Post reporter that he did not attend the meeting and had not spoken with anyone present. SL’s general manager could not be reached last night. News of SL’s refusal to rehire the workers came as no surprise to C.CAWDU vice president Kong Athit.

“That’s not a surprise,” he said yesterday. “C.CAWDU will keep pushing the government, and … buyers and to come to negotiate to settle this.”

If SL, which supplies to Gap Inc and H&M, does not rehire the workers, the strike will continue, Athit said. If they decide to close the factory, they still must compensate the workers, according to the labour law’s stipulations.

Two weeks ago, riot police fired live ammunition into a crowd of hundreds of SL protesters, killing 49-year-old street vendor Eng Sokhom and leaving nine hospitalised with gunshot wounds.

Nearly 40 people were arrested at that time, but only two teens – ages 14 and 17– remain in custody. Attorneys from the Community Legal Education Center, which is providing them with pro-bono legal representation, yesterday filed a request for bail with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, Moen Tola, who heads the NGO’s labour program, said.

The riot occurred during an attempt by strikers and their supporters to march from the SL1 factory in Meanchey district to the home of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

At that time, workers demanded the factory oust Meas Sotha, the SL shareholder who hired armed military police to stand guard inside the factory. The act, C.CAWDU representatives argued, was a move to intimidate unionised workers.

Since the strike began, officials from the labour ministry and Phnom Penh City Hall have facilitated several fruitless negotiation sessions between SL management and C.CAWDU.

While not surprised by SL’s decision to face court rather than hire back the workers, David Welsh, country director for labour rights group Solidarity Center/ACILS, said the move makes little sense from a business perspective.

“It’s hard to visualise how this will end if [SL] refuses to budge,” Welsh said. “It’s hard to imagine brands would further invest in a company with so many problems.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15