A marble warehouse where three people were killed on the job last week has reopened.
Xing Yong Thai (Cambodia) Group worker Tum Chhan, 32, yesterday said that employees were called back to work after the brief hiatus following the deaths of Thong Bora, Sao Bunna and Hak Ratha, who were crushed while unloading heavy stone from a truck.
“We were just called back to work today, after we closed on June 23,” Chhan said.
“We will get our [monthly] salary tomorrow, and are waiting to see whether our wages will be cut for the time the warehouse was closed.”
A Xing Yong Thai official, who declined to be named, yesterday confirmed the warehouse’s reopening, saying that issues surrounding the fatal accident have been resolved.
Thong Morn, 37, Bora’s brother, yesterday said the firm gave his family $5,000.
The other families accepted $1,000 and $2,000, he added.
“We filed a complaint to the commune police chief demanding $10,000 . . . but I received $5,000,” Morn said.
“I am not happy, but I do not want to prolong the problem.”