Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory sequestering unionists from others



Factory sequestering unionists from others

Factory sequestering unionists from others

Eight union representatives at a Chinese-owned window factory in Svay Rieng’s Bavet town say they are being illegally detained by security guards in a separate room at work each day after leading recent protests.

Choeun Sinoeun, a representative for the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW) said that he and seven others, including a pregnant woman, have been locked in the room within the factory every day this week, supposedly to clean it.

The representatives haven’t been given any work, and are allowed to return home at the end of their shift.

“It is a deprivation of our freedom,” he said.

On Monday, about 400 workers returned to the Beautiful Windows factory after their dispute demanding better working conditions was sent to the Arbitration Council.

The workers had been striking for two weeks and caused a company-estimated $50,000 of damage when they pelted the factory with rocks on August 19.

CUMW president Pav Sina said the representatives were accused of inciting the workers to throw rocks, which he denied was the case.

He said he would file a complaint to the Labour Ministry.

Has Bunthy, director of the Svay Rieng Labour Department, denied that the detention was illegal. “The company put them in a separate place while they waited for a decision on their dispute,” he said.

The factory’s administrative manager said he was unaware of the workers’ allegations as he was in Phnom Penh.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting