Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory workers set to receive cash assistance

Factory workers set to receive cash assistance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers queue to get the Sinovac vaccine behind a barricade with a banner that reads ‘red zone’, in southern Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district on May 17. Hong Menea

Factory workers set to receive cash assistance

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced the launch of an $11 million post-lockdown cash handout programme for more than 275,000 workers from 513 factories who were affected by the recent lockdowns of Phnom Penh, Kandal province’s Takmao town and Sihanoukville.

In an announcement dated June 22, the ministry noted that the cash handout programme is specifically for workers in the garment, footwear and travel goods sectors badly hit by the large-scale lockdowns.

Labour minister Ith Sam Heng said the programme would provide aid to 275,787 workers employed at 513 factories. They will receive 160,000 riel ($40) each.

“[Electronic payments service provider] Wing will send messages regarding this cash assistance to brothers and sisters who have given their phone numbers to the factory administrations,” he said.

He added that the $40 will be paid only one time under the government’s social cash assistance programme. Wing will transfer the money back to the government if workers fail to pick it up within 10 days of receiving the message.

In order to receive payment, he said workers have to take their Cambodian ID cards and phones with the SIM to which the payment was sent to their nearest Wing agent.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Garment workers living in the red zone along Veng Sreng Road in Meanchey district in Phnom Penh on May 17, 2021. Hong Menea

Collective Union of Movement of Workers president Pav Sina told The Post on June 22 that the assistance could ease workers’ hardships if their factories had been suspended for some time.

“The government’s assistance is to partially ease hardships for brothers and sisters, but the employers’ side did not provide assistance to workers. So, we think that this is what should be taken into account. When employers fail to think of their workers’ livelihoods, it is a most regretful thing,” he said.

Sina added that although the assistance was not much, it could help them in some ways. He called on employers to join the government in providing a better assistance package for their workers.

On May 11, the government issued a press release about the post-lockdown cash assistance to help low-income households who had challenges and difficulties during the large-scale lockdown.

On June 10, the government also kicked off its post-lockdown cash handout programme by disbursing $4 million to more than 60,000 households consisting of 200,000 members in total.

Aside from this one-off cash handout, the government has been providing financial support to poor people through the “IDPoor” cash transfer programme that provides assistance to roughly 700,000 poor households consisting of 2.8 million people.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided