Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Failed students weigh future

Failed students weigh future

High school students scan the results board at a school in Daun Penh district
High school students scan the results board at a school in Daun Penh district last week. Only 18 per cent of students passed their second attempt at the national exam. Heng Chivoan

Failed students weigh future

As the new public school year gets under way this week, grade 12 students reeling from en masse failure at the national exam have a choice to make: repeat their grade or forfeit their diploma.

Despite the wide scale failure rate, grade 12 repeaters are anticipated to be the exception this year. Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron expects just 10 per cent of the unsuccessful diploma candidates to file back into their classrooms.

“Based on prior year’s experience, very few students retake their grade,” he said.

However, last year, when less than 4 per cent of grade 12 students were repeaters, 87 per cent of the national exam sitters had passed.

This year, even a lenient, second-chance round earlier this month failed to provide reprieve to students ill-equipped to handle the reformed and corruption-free exam.

In total, just 33,997 test-sitters, or 40.6 per cent of the high school graduate hopefuls, managed to pass the high-stakes national exam in one of the two rounds. The remaining 55,000-plus candidates, or the majority of this year’s diploma seekers, flunked the two-day exam and are now ineligible for bachelor’s degree programs and face limited employment opportunities.

In Phnom Penh, where students had the greatest access to private tutors and other academic resources, only 2,383 testers managed to nab a pass on their second go, according to government figures.

“I was so shocked when I heard that I failed the second exam. Now I am worried about what’s going to happen with my future,” said a grade 12 student from the capital who said that he was too embarrassed to give his name.

Several of the failed students said they intend to avoid any further exposure to the humiliating test, and will elect instead for a back door into university through associate’s degrees, which are two-year preliminary college programs .

“I don’t want to waste my time. I don’t know if I will pass next year’s test,” said another of the failed candidates from Phnom Penh who will instead endeavour on the six-year bachelor’s degree route.

But educators worry that this path will perpetuate long-standing problems where under-qualified graduates are unable to back up their paper degrees in the job market.

“I would not encourage [students] to move on until they have focused on learning the fundamentals. Repeating their grade and re-sitting the exam is the best option so they can have adequate academic competency,” said Education Minister Naron, adding that students loath to repeat their final year of high school could independently prepare for next year’s exam or opt for vocational training.

If students ill-equipped to handle high school can still file up the ladder of higher education, the validity of the ministry’s reform crusade could be undermined, said Chin Chanveasna, executive director of the NGO Education Partnership.

“What is the use of reforming the exam if students are just going to bypass it?” he said. “Students need to retake their grade or have similar alternatives if the quality of [educational attainment] is going to improve.”

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to