Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families cling to hope for land

Families cling to hope for land

Families cling to hope for land

Representatives of 44 families embroiled in a violent land dispute in Banteay Meanchey province say they are living like squatters and haven’t been granted long-promised property in the area.

Kao Ty, a defence lawyer for the families, said that his clients are among the more than 200 families in the province’s Poipet Town that Prime Minister Hun Sen allotted land to in a distribution policy for the displaced in 2005.

“So far, my clients have been faced with difficulties, and are living in the back of a dam or on the edges of streets in Kbal Spean Village,” Ty said. “And they are still waiting and looking for their land contribution from the period of seven years ago.”

The dispute dates back to 2001, village representative Hiv Sahoeuth said, when a businessman named Tin Oun alleged that the families were squatting on his land. He sued them in provincial court, won, and when the time came to implement the decision in 2003, protests broke out, which ended in the shooting deaths of five villagers.

Hundreds of families were later given land as part of the 2005 distribution policy, but dozens of them say they were left off the list.

Try Narin, governor of Poipet Town, said that the district authority had nothing left to give, and argued that Ty’s clients were not part of the 2005 plan.

“We have already distributed the lands to all of the 218 families of the land dispute since 2005,” he told the Post yesterday.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the