Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families dispute mine land in Preah Vihear



Families dispute mine land in Preah Vihear

A group of villagers from Preah Vihear's Rovieng district file a petition to the Ministry of Land Management seeking intervention in a land dispute with gold firm Delcom on January 12. Supplied
A group of villagers from Preah Vihear's Rovieng district file a petition to the Ministry of Land Management seeking intervention in a land dispute with gold firm Delcom on January 12. Photo supplied

Families dispute mine land in Preah Vihear

Officials from the Preah Vihear provincial Land Management Department and Rovieng district yesterday inspected a piece of land at the centre of a dispute between gold mining company Delcom and 56 families following a petition the families filed last month at the Ministry of Land Management.

Rovieng Governor Ung Vuthy said the visit was the first step in resolving the dispute by identifying the families and examining documents that substantiate their claim to the land.

Some villagers claim that they have been living in the area for decades, going back to 1979 or 1980, though Vuthy alleged that was not true.

“The land [was] covered by forest at that time,” he said.

An official with the Land Management Department, who asked to remain anonymous, said officials had visited the villagers due to their petition, which asked the government to annul contracts families signed with Delcom acknowledging they were living on the company’s land.

The villagers claimed they signed the contracts because they didn’t know the contents and were intimidated by commune authorities.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as

  • Covid-19 spreads in Kingdom, infects more children

    The Ministry of Health on March 28 reported another 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20 community outbreak. Among them, two are Chinese and the rest are Cambodian. Preah Sihanouk province recorded the most cases at 43, followed by the capital at 25; three each in Tbong Khmum, Svay