Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families protest Srepok forest grab



Families protest Srepok forest grab

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers clear forest in the Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary. facebook

Families protest Srepok forest grab

Some 100 families from Pichreada district’s Pu Chrey commune in Mondulkiri province said a private company continues to clear forest in the Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary even after the authority made the firm sign a contract promising to stop its activities.

A representative of the Pu Chrey Protected Area Community who wished to remain anonymous claimed the Heang Ly Company had pulled out stumps and damaged 1,063 trees on forest land adjacent to the community in the commune’s Pu Tang village.

He claimed it was done without permission from relevant authorities and that the clearing violated the rights of his ethnic community who lived nearby.

“The company illegally cleared the forest without permission from the relevant institutions. It’s a protected area. We’ve noticed that once authorities inspected the site, they halted their activities."

“But then they resumed their activities after the authorities left. I think if there are no tough measures, it will continue unabated,” he said.

According to a complaint the Pu Chrey Protected Area Community filed with the Mondulkiri provincial governor on June 29, Heang Ly had used excavators to clear the forest land since before the July 29 national elections.

The complaint said Heang Ly had also built an office and a warehouse that doubles as a parking lot for the excavators on the land.

Provincial environment department director Keo Sopheak said on Monday that after receiving the complaint from the Pu Chrey community, he made the company sign a contract promising to stop its activities pending formal permission from the authority.

Sopheak said the office and warehouse in question are actually located on the company’s land and that the firm had cleared the forest to build a road and a stone mill.

“The company just worked on the old site. It has not cleared the community’s forest land,” he said.

Sopheak said the Ministry of Environment had already inspected the area twice and instructed the company not to clear land beyond its boundary.

Adhoc provincial coordinator Ieng Mengly said he was not aware of the case. “I haven’t monitored this case because I’ve been occupied in other districts. Let me look into it first,” he said.

Heang Ly representatives could not be reached for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year