Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families told to register for cash handouts



Families told to register for cash handouts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth (centre). Hean Rangsey

Families told to register for cash handouts

The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year.

Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this on Wednesday at a press conference on measures to promote economic growth and cash subsidies for poor and vulnerable families.

Visoth said the government has budgeted $1.164 billion to assist with the social impact of the disease and help the private sector. Out of the total, $564 million was spent through mechanisms as interventions.

The remaining $600 million was spent on business recovery through the provision of credit or credit guarantees for private-sector loans. The amount does not include any deductions for taxes.

Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation secretary of state Samheng Boros said in the 14 days from the date the grant was announced on June 24, the government has subsidised 90 per cent of poor families, or 500,000 out of more than 560,000.

“The people remaining from the first phase should get their subsidy money before July 24. Poor families who have already received their money please collect your second phase money from July 25 until August 24. This is the government’s second aid to poor families.

“The subsidy funding has not ended in the first phase yet. In the current situation, we believe there may be an additional 30,000 to 40,000 families that enter the cash subsidy programme in the second round,” he said.

Visoth said Cambodia’s situation is well under control compared to some other countries.

“There are three factors that have given us a controlled situation. The first is the leadership of our Prime Minister, Samdech Techo [Hun Sen], who is leading the fight against Covid-19.

“The second is the policies and measures that we have carefully considered and are flexible in, according to the context. The third factor is the people’s participation in compliance with the government’s guidelines,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom