Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Female workers suffer record abuse last year

Female workers suffer record abuse last year

Female workers suffer record abuse last year

Female migrant workers suffered their largest-ever recorded number of abuses last year, a report released by rights group Adhoc yesterday says.

“It was noted that 2011 was the worst year so far recorded for violations against migrant workers, in particular among labourers who were sent to work in Malaysia,”  the annual report on Women and Children’s Rights in Cambodia states.

Adhoc president Thun Saray said the number of such cases handled by the NGO had doubled from 51 in 2010 to 102 last year, prompting a temporary ban on sending maids to Malaysia.

The report states that in most cases, the abuse against victims first took place during their training as domestic workers in Cambodia and  continued or worsened during their work in Malaysia.

The report also notes that although the ban was a “positive step”, it had resulted in 30,000 workers in Malaysia potentially “facing isolation and loss of communication with their relatives”, as some recruitment agencies had their labour export licences withdrawn or were shut down.

“We could not resolve some of the complaints we received, because the workers’ families did not have contact with their children,” Lim Mony, the deputy head of Adhoc’s women’s section, said.

Association of Cambodian Recruitment Agencies president An Bunhak said he welcomed the report, but said investigation was necessary to ensure the complaints received were valid.

“We must show that all the cases are real cases, and not misunderstandings,” he said.

An Bunhak denied allegations of abuse in training centres, saying ACRA recruitment agencies had to comply with a pre-departure curriculum developed by the association, and were monitored by officials from the Ministry of Labour.

The report notes that there was “no notable decrease in the number of cases of domestic violence” and 2011 was the first year in which the number of reported rape cases had not increased.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman