Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fifty houses bulldozed overnight as S’ville land dispute escalates

Fifty houses bulldozed overnight as S’ville land dispute escalates

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The families claim they have been living on the land since 2002 with full ownership. Photo supplied

Fifty houses bulldozed overnight as S’ville land dispute escalates

Fifty families claiming ownership of 5ha in Koki village, Bit Traing commune, in Prey Nop district, Preah Sihanouk province, on Monday protested on the site over claims that Ouk Sineth and his associates illegally encroached on their land, bulldozing their homes and crops during the night.

Keo Chantha, a representative of the 50 families, told The Post on Monday while protesting at the site that residents demanded that Ouk Sineth and his companions come forward to settle the disputed land. However, no one turned up.

“Those in question are not coming forward to solve the problem. Instead, the people they rented our land to are fighting with us.

“There have been clashes, pushing backwards and forward. Some people threatened to hack us. If it had escalated further then it could have turned into a very dangerous situation,” she said.

Chantha said that all 50 families had submitted a letter of intervention to provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun at the provincial hall on February 16, but there had been no intervention as of Monday.

The people requested that Chamroeun helped return their land, stating that the 50 families have been living there since 2002.

The letter said: “In the first week of February, Ouk Sineth and his associates bulldozed the land at night. During the day they took the bulldozer out to deceive the villagers, leaving crops and 50 homes damaged.

“We would like to request the intervention of your excellency to find justice for us so that we can return to our land and the crops we rely on for our livelihood.

“All of us are suffering. Now powerful people have bulldozed crops and houses. So, your excellency, please help us, the 50 families, with justice.”

Provincial hall spokesman Kheang Phearum said on Monday that he had not obtained the letter yet. However, he said he would follow it up.

Prey Nop district governor Sar Kakada could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Koki village chief Sok Chan Dara said on Monday that the land in the disputed area is mostly forest cover and that the 50 families have yet to ask for intervention from the village and commune authorities.

“They are citizens whose data is not on the commune listings yet. Where and which provinces they are from is not known. They came to grab the land in 2017 and 2018 and have been living on it until now.

“Some people have built houses in the area and no action has been taken from the upper-level authorities yet,” he said.

Ouk Sineth and his associates’ could not be reached for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the

  • 'Pandora Papers' expose leaders' offshore millions

    More than a dozen heads of state and government, from Jordan to Azerbaijan, Kenya and the Czech Republic, have used offshore tax havens to hide assets worth hundreds of millions of dollars, according to a far-reaching new investigation by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (