Faulty electrical wires have been blamed for a fire on Saturday at Global CamStar Co Ltd, a construction materials warehouse in Phnom Penh.
Phnom Penh Fire Department chief Prum Yorn told The Post the fire broke out around 2:40am, damaging large stocks of GCS electrical equipment, plasterboards and paints.
“Based on our investigation at the scene and the explanation of the company general manager, Yim Rada, the fire caused a total of $1.2 million in damages,” he said.
Beside electrical equipment, plasterboards and paint in the warehouse, two lorries, three Tuk Tuks for delivery, and four motorcycles were burnt while the 30X70m warehouse was almost entirely damaged.
Yorn said fire trucks from three firehouses used 560 cubic metres of water to douse the flames.
In a separate fire the same day, a petrol station along National Road 3 in Teuk Chhou District, Kampot, caught fire, said Kampot provincial police chief Mao Chanmathurith.
“The fire was caused by electricity failure in the mini-market of the petrol station, but the damage was not serious because the fire department quickly put it out,” he said.
In the past seven months, fires in Cambodia have killed 15 people, injured 32, and damaged 522 houses and 225 shops, said a report The Post received from the Fire Prevention Department of the Ministry of Interior.