A 12-YEAR-OLD boy and two adults were burnt by a petrol container explosion at Ou Ambel commune, Serei Sophoan district, in Banteay Meanchey province on Sunday.
Serei Sophoan police chief Sy Dy said on Monday that San Vireak Vitou, 12, was injured in both legs, while Kim Phla, 49, and Duch Chan Heng, 20, sustained minor injuries.
“The three are from the same family and their injuries are not life-threatening,” he said.
The boy’s uncle Nguon Songorm, 33, said selling petrol is the family business. On Sunday, their neighbour was burning rubbish near their house. Because the houses were blocked by a wall, Songorm did not notice the fire.
All of a sudden, a piece of ash flew to his gasoline container which caught fire immediately. His nephew was standing nearby so the flame scalded his legs. The boy’s father used six fire extinguishers to put out the fire.
“The fire would have spread to other houses if my family had not put it out,” said Songorm.
His nephew, Vireak Vitou, is admitted at Mongkol Borei Referral Hospital in Mongol Borei district. His condition is not as serious as he only sustained minor injuries to his legs. The family will not take the matter any further because it was just an accident, he said.
In a separate incident, a fire broke out at a rice drying facility at Thma Koul district, in Battambang province. Ou Ambel commune police chief Puth Than said the incident happened at 10:10am on Sunday.
The owner of the facility, Kim Savuth, was burning rice shells to dry rice when the fire got too big and burnt the rice instead, he said.
Authorities used a fire engine to put out the flames, while the facility owner used 10 fire extinguishers.
Local media ANN reported that some 20 tonnes of rice was destroyed.